Saturday, February 11, 2012

Good-bye Gordie



All my life, I have known my brother, Gordon. He had lived a life of an only child until my sister was born when he was twelve, then two years later I was born and a year after that our little brother joined the family. Boy, did his life change!

Obviously, my mother needed some help with dad sailing the Great Lakes from March until December and no other family in town. I never heard him complain that his teenage years were busy helping mom watch all these babies.

And that is the constant memory of Gordon Tremaine Burke. He was not a complainer. He worked hard by following in his father's footsteps and sailed the freighters on the Great Lakes for 39 years. The last 15 as a ship's captain. Those who came to visit us at the funeral home told us of their respect for him and his easy manner even as the chief officer on the ship. It couldn't have been easy sailing in those November storms.

Gordon was the father of seven children and his wife Doris' brothers each had at least seven. Their home was a sea of children running in and out the doors, laundry, dishes, diapers, toys... everywhere. It was a house full of love and action. My sister, Kathy and I were often recruited to babysit our nieces and nephews, a little payback for when we were young.

Gordie loved to have fun. He and Doris always had a house full of family and friends. There was always room for more. Always a warm greeting, hug and a kiss. The kitchen was busy from morning until night for whoever showed up had a ready meal or snack. Evenings at the lake around the camp fire brought out stories of great and fun memories.

When Gordie's wife Doris became sick, he cared for her and was by her side until the end. His second wife also became sick and he was there to supply every need. He and are brother Mike took care of dad on the night shift when he was near the end and gave Kathy and I a report as if he was still the Navy Corpsman of his youth. He would drive hundreds of miles to support and help those he loved. His children and siblings could count on him and they did. This is a picture of his children.

Gordie's last two years were different than all the rest. He pretty much stayed home, gave up driving but continued to read his mysteries, watch TV and listen to Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion. Friends and family came for visits and he would go out for birthdays and holidays. He slept and ate when ever and what ever he wanted. He never complained of being lonely or discontent. I called him the day before he died and when asked how he was doing, said, "I'm fine."

Gordie was fine, even though he knew his life would soon be over. I don't feel so fine as I write this because I will miss him, miss his kindness, miss his hugs and I love yous. I thank God for Gordie's life and for giving me a brother who enriched mine.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Well said!! A life well lived!!

Em said...

What a genuine and heartfelt tribute to your brother.

Grancy said...

What a great wonderful brother you had! Nothing like the relationship between brother and sister.